Chavarah- Jewish Community Learning

A blog of Jewish study and traditions. Notes from classes: Torah Study with Rabbi Marder, Toledot and Shabbaton as well as other details found of interest.

IF you want to be part of our Chavarah email group let me know at carol@traditionsrenewed.com

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Starting the Chavarah - Interfaith Traditions

This will be the Chavarah section of TraditionsRenewed.com once I get it set up.

An on line community to talk about Jewish traditions, interfaith issues, products for Jewish traditions, fundraising for Jewish and humanitarian causes, and any other related issues.

I hope to have much feedback and contributions for this blog throughout the year and moving forward.

Really liked the comments on Chrismukkah: http://www.chrismukkah.com/misc/blog/

Interfaith issues are one of the subjects I would like to explore. When does it work and when does it not work.

I have found the most issues really relate more to life cycle events more than "Chrismukkah". When a family member dies, understanding the differences in customs.

For example, when my parents died and we sat shiva and followed the traditions from Jewish traditions, I grew to understand why those traditions are part of the process of mourning. I look forward to lighting yhartzeit candles and visiting the grave and it brings comfort. When my husband's mother died I felt very uncomfortable with their lack of traditions for mourning. There is really no "follow up" tradition to remember, I find this sad.

At the bar mitzvah of my sons my husband could participate which was nice, but there was a slight empty feeling as he could not share the aliyah with me to bless the Torah.

I feel lucky that the interfaith conflict in my family is not a major issue. I try to understand and help others with their struggle to find solutions to the issues that arise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home