Chavarah- Jewish Community Learning

A blog of Jewish study and traditions. Notes from classes: Torah Study with Rabbi Marder, Toledot and Shabbaton as well as other details found of interest.

IF you want to be part of our Chavarah email group let me know at carol@traditionsrenewed.com

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

To Israel

Sorry for no posts over the past weeks. Israel is an amazing place. The depth of history and experiences there must be felt they can't be explained.

Pictures:
Some of my Israel Pictures

If you have never been there before - go.

Some bits of learning from the trip:

"The air of Israel makes one smarter" - quote from our class by Dr. Amira Meir!
"Jerusalem is mentioned over 900 times in Torah."
"My eyes and my heart will always be in this place."
"No other place is associated with as much war and bloodshed as Jerusalem."
"Jerusalem is said to be closer to God and full of miracles and peace as well, 'Heavenly Jerusalem.'"

Yad v' Shem - Monument to the Name -
Learning with Prof. Israel Knohl
Why is the place to remember those lost to the holocaust calle Yad VaShem

Deut 25:5 the widdow is taken in by the family so the "name is not blotted out in Israel".
To assure the name of a person is not lost.

Ruth 4:1 Boaz takes responsibility for Naomi to keep the name in the land.

2Samuel 18:18 A monument built to the name.

Isaiah 56.3-5 - Yad VaShem
Neither let the alien, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying: 'The the Lord will surely separate me from His people'; neither let the eunuch say: 'Behold, I am a dry tree.'

For thus saith the Lord concerning the eunuchs that keep My sabbaths, and choose the things that please Me, and hold fast by My covenant:

Even unto them will I give in My house and within My walls a monument and a memorial better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting memorial, that shall not be cut off.


Thus there is a monument to remember: Yad VaShem - Hand/Monument of the Name


------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home