Chavarah- Jewish Community Learning

A blog of Jewish study and traditions. Notes from classes: Torah Study with Rabbi Marder, Toledot and Shabbaton as well as other details found of interest.

IF you want to be part of our Chavarah email group let me know at carol@traditionsrenewed.com

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Jacob's Stew - It is magic

Ok so we know about the story of Jacob's stew. His brother gave him the birthright of being the eldest for a bowl of his famous stew. What stew could be SO good that one would give up their fortune?

Well this one comes close and this year I am going to try to make it with the Black Lentils I found at Trader Joe's.



This great picture was found at: Images from Genesis
(I like this artist - they sell this print at their site)



Here is the recipe

Jacob's Vegetarian Lentil Stew

1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup brown (or red) lentils (picked over and rinsed) (I am going to try black ones this year)
6 cups of water
pinch of cinnamon (I think this is the key ingredient to it's magic)
1/4 teaspoon ginger (you can grate fresh ginger and squeeze out the juice - works great)
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cumin - optional
Melt margarine/butter in large soup pot, saute' onion and garlic. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/2 - 2 hours. Enjoy! (Great when be done in the crock pot just put it all in and leave it for all day!)


Make a new tradition to cook this stew each year when they read the parasha about Jacob and Esau.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey there, I have to say for starters that I'm not Jewish, however, I've had a hankering for lentil stew for the last week after reading a good book. I thought this sounded like a great recipe to try. I've always thought that Jacobs stew must have been pretty amazing in order to sway Esuas birthright so hopefully I'll find out tonight when we have it for tea.
    Grace and Peace.

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Susie said…

    Well, I'm also not Jewish, but born-again Christian. I was reading this passage i scripture to mt 4 yr old and thought it'd be a splendid idea to not only make this with her, but we can turn the stew into an object lesson for the family in taking the time before or after dinner to discuss things we have done to sell ourselves short of His grace, which is so readily available to all who ask of it. Now to find red lentils...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home